The New York Times Heritage Cookbook
The New York Times Heritage Cook Book - Jean Hewitt 1972
The New York Times has a long tradition of sharing recipes and wonderful culinary sections of the paper featuring chefs and venues of wonderous flavors. This 1972 Edition is curated into regions of America and showcases heirloom recipes sent in by readers that have been passed along and are filled with tradition and pride of kitchen skills.
Here is an example for you:
*Farmer in the Dell*
1 pound six ounce loaf extra fresh white bread
1 seven and one half ounce package farmer cheese
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 pound butter, melted and clear yellow liquid poured off for cooking (discard milky solids)
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- Remove crusts from the bread slices. With a rolling pin, roll each slice until very thin.
- Beat together the cheese, granulated sugar, vanilla and egg and spread 1 tablespoon mixture on each slice of bread.
- Roll up each slice and pinch sides to hold together.
- Heat the butter in a very heavy skillet and sauté the rolls a few at a time, over medium heat until golden. Roll in confectioners sugar while hot.
- Yield about 26 pieces or 8 servings.
This vintage Classic Cook Book has 804 pages of recipes by region with several unused pages for notes in the back. There are retro glossy photographs throughout the pages. The interior pages are very clean and the book has been gently used, if at all. There is slight page foxing on the outer edge of the pages. The Hard back black cover is in very good condition. The red interior has a hand written inscription to the original reciepiant. This is a gift meant to give repeatedly for a long time.
The book is 9 1/2 inches tall, 7 1/2 inches wide and 2 inches thick. There is no dust jacket for this vintage New York Times Cook Book. There is enough information here to make this your "go to" kitchen reference.
*Only 1 copy of the New York Times Heritage Cook Book is available for sale in the Time Keepers Cottage Library.
*Shipping is Free on this useful vintage treasure!